top of page

Education: Nebraska CE Law

Note: This information pertains to continuing education (CE) requirements for Nebraska insurance licenses. The update requirements for optional professional designations are different. Please see the Certified Insurance Service Representatives (CISR) and Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC) areas of our website for information regarding these designations.

Q: What are the continuing education requirements for a Nebraska insurance license?

A: In Nebraska, all licensed insurance agents, customer service reps (CSRs) and consultants must earn continuing education credit hours by the last day of their birth month every other year. 

All Nebraska resident producers and consultants must meet continuing education requirements. Courses must relate to the kinds of insurance that the producer/consultant is licensed to solicit and be completed every two years, beginning from the birthday when your age is divisible by two and due two years from that date. New licensees may begin earning credit hours upon insurance of the license.

Life                                                   21 + 3 ethics = 24 hours
Health                                             21 + 3 ethics = 24 hours
Combined Life and Health    21 + 3 ethics = 24 hours
Property                                        21 + 3 ethics = 24 hours
Casualty                                        21 + 3 ethics = 24 hours
Combined Property and Casualty    21 + 3 ethics = 24 hours
Personal Lines                            21 + 3 ethics = 24 hours
Title                                                  6 + 3 ethics =  9 hours
Crop                                                  3 + 3 ethics =  6 hours
Funeral                                            6 + 3 ethics =  9 hours
Funeral - Director                      3 + 3 ethics =  6 hours
Viatical                                           12 + 3 ethics = 15 hours

Q: I'm from another state and I'm thinking of attending a CIC (or CISR) class in Nebraska or Iowa. Can I receive state continuing education credit in my home state? If so, how many hours will I receive?

A: Both CIC and CISR are national programs, so they are approved for CE credit in every state that requires continuing education.

It does not matter where you attend. Whatever number of credits a particular CIC or CISR course is approved for in your state, you will receive that number of credits, even if you attend it in a different state. In other words, the CE credits for any of these classes depend on where the student is licensed, not where the class is held. We have had CIC classes in Nebraska and Iowa with students from over 10 states in attendance, each receiving different amounts of CE credit, depending on their home state.

If you would like to know how many CE credits you will receive for your resident license by attending a CIC Institute in NE & IA or CISR Seminar in IA please call the PIA NE IA office at (402) 392-1611.

For most James K. Ruble Seminars, you should call the Society. 

Q: If I attend a CIC or CISR class for CE, do I have to pass the exam to earn the CE credits?

A: No. In fact, you don' t even have to take the exam. For classroom programs, CE compliance is based on attendance.

Please note, however, that you cannot receive CE credit for partial attendance. Either you attend the entire course and receive full credit, or you only attend part of the class and receive no credit.

Q: I can' t be away from my office during the day. Are there options for me?

A: There are two options for you: self-study programs and online programs.

For self-study programs you must pass an exam to earn CE credit.

For some online courses, you also have to pass a proctored exam; for others, you don' t. The course sponsor can tell you whether a particular class requires an exam for CE.

Q: Can I attend the same CE course two years in a row and get CE credit?

A: You cannot receive CE credit for the same course twice within a 24-month period. To be the same course, the class must have the same course number, which is assigned by the Department of Insurance (DOI) when they approve any new CE course. This is known as the 24-Month No-Repeat Rule.

Course sponsors are required to publish course numbers on all promotions, so students can compare them with past Certificates of Completion to determine whether they are classes that they have previously attended. All licensees should maintain a record of CE courses attended and plan ahead to satisfy their CE requirements on time and avoid repeating a class. If you are not sure whether a class you are considering attending is a repeat, your best bet is to check with the school before you register, and have your CE Transcript (available from DOI at ) or your Certificates of Completion handy.

If a course provider re-files a class with revisions, it can receive approval with a new course number, in which case you could attend it again within 24 months and receive CE credit again. Remember, the key from the DOI' s perspective is whether or not you have attended a class with the same course number. Having the same title does not necessarily mean it is the same class for CE purposes. When in doubt, call the course sponsor.

Q: I want to attend a CIC institute that runs October 15-18 for my CE credit, but my birthday is October 5th. Will I be penalized for doing my CE late?

A: No. Remember, your CE "compliance date" is the last day of your birth month every other year. If you have a compliance date this year, it would be October 31st, not your actual birthday, so the October class would be in time.

bottom of page